Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Rose for Sergei – A First Reading


I’ve always liked the idea of having a first reading to celebrate the publication of a book.  Whether it be a traditionally published book, or self-published book, the emotions are the same.  There is a tremendous feeling of accomplishment and completion.

I never actually had the opportunity to read A Rose for Sergei in front of a group of people.  A celebration was planned a year ago, lists were made, and books were ordered.  No one counted on Mother Nature’s wintery blast striking our area earlier than usual that month.  Think freezing rain, power outages, icy sidewalks and broken limbs…on trees and pedestrians.  My dear friend and hostess of my scheduled “first reading” party slipped and broke her arm.  Event cancelled.  I was just glad her up-close-and-personal meeting with the ice wasn’t worse.

Fast forward a year.  A few weeks ago I received a phone call informing me that my former boss, Mr. Logie, was nearing the end of his life.  He was ninety-five years old.  If I wanted to visit him, I needed to do it very soon.  Yes, I informed his son, I would like to say goodbye.

If you’ve read my book or followed my blog you’ll know that Mr. Logie was the former boss who introduced me to Sergei Kourdakov when I was twenty-one.  He was the one that pushed past dignitaries at the grave site in Washington DC as he guided Mrs. Logie and me to stand beside Sergei’s lifeless body in the casket.

When I arrived at the care facility I was directed to Mr. Logie’s room, where I found him alone and resting.  He sensed I was there beside him, opened his eyes, and called me by name.  He thanked me for coming, and asked how I was doing.  “I have a paperback copy of A Rose for Sergei for you,” I said as I held the book up for him.  “Oh, it’s nice, it’s really nice.  I like the cover.”  He then leaned back to rest.

In the quiet of that room I began reading.  I chose a few chapters in the book that included him.  In a clear, strong voice I read my book out loud for the first time ever.  My audience of one nodded and smiled as the memories of all those years came to life once again.  It was the most wonderful first reading any writer could have ever wished for.  It was the last time I would ever see Mr. Logie.

* * *

Mr. Kirk H. Logie, Sr.
Rest in Peace


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting it. How sweet and wonderful you got to read that to him before he passed. I am sorry for his family and their loss, but I'm glad he lived a long life. This was really good to read. Wow, what a wonderful way to do a first out loud reading. This was really good to read tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you for your sweet comment. Mr. Logie did have a long, good life. He was truly an extraordinary man.

      Delete