Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Butterfly Effect














I was considering entering my book, A Rose for Sergei, in an eLit Book Award Contest.  I wasn’t sure if it would be of any benefit and if I should take the time.  So I called my sister for advice.  Because Karen is a few years older than I, and therefore must be wiser (which is sometimes debatable), I often ask her for input.  She takes the time to consider all options . . . patience being one of her virtues.

While we were talking on the phone, going over the pros and cons of my idea, Karen suddenly made a snap decision.  Our conversation went something like this:

Karen:  “I’ve got it!  You need to go forward with that idea.”

Me:  “Really, just like that?  No more thoughts on the subject?”

Karen:  “No.  It’s a good idea.”

Me:  “Really?”

Karen:  “Yes it’s a good idea.  I just saw a butterfly float by and I never see butterflies around here!”

Me:  “Sooo . . . because you see a butterfly, I should go ahead?”

Karen:  “Yes.”

Me:  “That’s it then?  You see a butterfly and that’s the answer?”

Karen:  “Yes.”

Me:  “Great, I can’t believe I’m making a decision based on the fact that you saw a butterfly.”  Somehow I knew what was coming next.

Karen:  “The butterfly is a sign!”

Me:  “Oh no . . . here we go with the signs again.”

Karen:  “Yes.  All taken care of.  Decision made.  Bye.”

With that declaration, she hung up the phone.  Sisters!  I love both of mine, they keep me grounded.

Now that my dilemma has been resolved, I will fill out all the forms, pay the fee (of course there is always a fee!) and submit my ebook in the appropriate category.  It will be months before I hear anything back, and I know there are thousands of talented writers . . . my chances of being recognized will be slim.  But I also know this true story about Sergei Kourdakov is long overdue.


No comments:

Post a Comment