Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, September 8, 2014

It Started with a Blog





















I am often asked by friends, “Why did you write A Rose for Sergei?”  Before I can even reply, that question is quickly followed up by—“Wow, I didn’t know you ever wanted to write a book.”  My response to their surprised reaction is short, “You’re right, I never thought I would write a book either.”  This is how it all came about.

It started with a blog.  But not my blog, though.  It was a Russian History Blog about Sergei Kourdakov.  It seems that Sergei’s book, The Persecutor, still prompts a lot of comments from readers.  Some people believe Sergei’s story, others do not.  Some discussions are argumentative.  From that blog I discovered the independent movie—Forgive Me, Sergei.

It continued with a movie.  I was glad to discover that someone made a documentary film about Sergei Kourdakov because I didn’t want his story to be forgotten.  Good news, I thought at first.  Then I ordered the film and watched it.  It wasn’t what I expected at all.  Don’t get me wrong, it was well done, took several years to complete, and won several awards.  The outcome just wasn’t what I expected because the producer ended up questioning if Sergei’s story was true.

It ended with a book.  The irony here is that if I had not found the blog, or the movie, then there would be no need to write a book.  I knew Sergei Kourdakov personally, and I decided to write a book about him to offer another perspective.  If there are missing pieces to a puzzle, the picture will always be incomplete.  I wanted to add another piece to the puzzle.  If Sergei had not been thoroughly checked out by our government agencies, if his story had not been checked out, my boss would never have introduced me to him.

* * *

From The Register paper, January 19, 1973
By Raymond J. McHugh
Chief, Washington Bureau
Copley News Service

“A frequent visitor to Washington, Kourdakov met privately with U.S. intelligence officials, leaders of Voice of America and the U.S. Information Agency, high-ranking military officers and members of Congress.”


2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I believe Sergei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that you believe Sergei. Your comment made my day.

      Delete