Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Heartfelt Comment


Below is a short excerpt from A Rose for Sergei.  Sergei Kourdakov and I had just returned to my apartment after an evening out.  I was twenty-one, finally on my own, and thrilled that I had recently moved into my own place.

* * * 
Fall 1972

“Why do you live in such a dump?” Sergei asked.

“What do you mean?  I think this place is all right.”  I was surprised and slightly offended by his question.  My apartment was clean and neat.  I knew I didn’t have much, but I was happy with what I did have.  Except for the hand-me-down sofa and two table lamps, I had paid for everything myself.  I was very proud of that.  I had also purchased my car as well.  It was a used Mustang, in great shape, fun, and fast when it needed to be.  The apartment itself didn’t have many conveniences—no air conditioning, and no garbage disposal or dishwasher.  The washing machines and dryers were in the basement, but at least they were in the basement of my building.  Maybe it wasn’t the safest area for a young woman to live, but I was careful.

“A beautiful girl like you should not have to live in a place like this.  You should have nice things given to you.”

It was such a strange comment; clearly he had a different way of thinking.  Maybe he thought all Americans lived a life of luxury….

“Sergei, I don’t need anyone to give me nice things.  I’m very happy with what I have."

He sat still, lost in his thoughts for a moment.  “I can give you nice things someday,” he said tenderly.

I was surprised by his openness.  It was a very heartfelt comment, and I was struck by his genuine feelings that I should be taken care of…that he wanted to take care of me.  For him to make a statement like that when he left everything in his life behind, when he in essence had nothing, was beyond my comprehension.  He was concerned about me, and it touched my soul deeply.


No comments:

Post a Comment