Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Introduction to A Rose for Sergei



A Rose for Sergei

Prologue


Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected to Canada more than forty years ago.  One of his assignments with the Russian police was to break up secret meetings of Christian “Believers.”  While serving aboard the surface ship Elagin, a Soviet trawler, he jumped overboard when they were near the coast of Canada.  His search for freedom began that very day—September 3, 1971.  In Canada, he learned to speak English and became a Christian.  To say he had a change of heart is an understatement.  It would be more accurate to say he found his heart.

In the fall of 1972 Sergei spent several weeks in Washington DC meeting with Government Officials.  During that time he met a young secretary with whom he had an instant connection; they were both twenty-one years old.  This is their true, bittersweet story…I know because I was that young girl.

Sergei’s book, The Persecutor, was not published until after his death.  There were many facets about his life that I never knew.  Sergei had only told me a shortened version, carefully leaving out parts of his life in the Soviet Union that would have alarmed me if I had known every detail.

I knew the person Sergei had become after he defected.  He was honest, smart, gentle, and caring.  He was a completely changed person.  And that is the person I fell in love with.


No comments:

Post a Comment