Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, May 5, 2014

A Mentor for Sergei

Pictured in the photographs are my boss, Mr. Kirk H. Logie, Sr. and Sergei Kourdakov.  Sergei was a frequent guest in the Logie home during his stay in Washington DC, practically a member of their family.  It was a place where Sergei could relax and just be himself.  Mr. Logie was a positive male figure in Sergei’s life.


My working relationship with Mr. Logie could best be described as one of trust and friendship.  The following story puts everything into perspective.

The first car I ever bought was a 1970 fastback Mustang.  It was dark green and had a V8 engine.  It was fast and it was perfect.  I loved the sleek lines and the feel of the curved bucket seats when I leaned back to drive.  That car probably had more power than I could handle, but I would never admit that at age twenty.

I remember how excited I was when I bought my Mustang.  I even gave Mr. Logie a quick ride one day so he could see how nicely it handled.  It wasn’t long after that impromptu ride that Mr. Logie bought his own Mustang.  He only had his new car a few days before he asked me if I wanted to take it for a test drive.  He had a meeting in the Pentagon and asked if I would drop him off.  He then handed me the keys to his car.

I dropped Mr. Logie off at the North Entrance of the Pentagon and headed back alone to our office in Rosslyn.  When I drove out of the Pentagon parking lot and made a left turn onto Route 110, I accelerated a little too quickly and skidded on some loose gravel.  The car fishtailed and almost hit another car.  I did hit the curb, however, and knocked the car out of alignment.  I was devastated and I drove at a snail’s pace back to the office.  I dreaded having to tell Mr. Logie that I almost destroyed his beautiful, brand new, maroon-colored Mustang.

When Mr. Logie returned to our building I stopped by his office to return his car keys. He had a big smile on his face as he asked me how the car handled.  Our conversation went something like this:

Well how did the car drive?  Isn’t it something?  Did you like it?

Hmmm, it drives okay, but I think it might need to be realigned.

It does?   Was it pulling to one side of the road?

It pulls a little to the left.

That’s strange.  I didn’t notice that at all.

I felt horrible.  Mr. Logie had entrusted me with his new car and I couldn’t believe what I had done.  I was terribly embarrassed as I relayed the story of skidding on loose gravel, the almost-accident, and hitting the curb.  I offered to pay for the repairs.  Mr. Logie quietly looked at me for a moment.  I saw the smile on his face waiver, just a fraction, before he told me it was all right.  He would take care of it.  “Don’t worry about it,” he kindly said.

Not only was Mr. Logie a father figure and mentor to Sergei . . . Mr. Logie was also a father figure to me.







No comments:

Post a Comment