Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Memoir

I was caught off guard recently when I was asked about my book.  The person I was speaking with did not realize that A Rose for Sergei was a memoir.  So yes, in answer to the question, my book is the true story of my time with Sergei Kourdakov.

Definition from Wikipedia: Memoir (from French:  mémoire:  memoria, meaning memory or reminiscence) is a literary nonfiction genre.  More specifically, it is a collection of memories that an individual writes about moments or events, both public or private that took place in the author’s life.  The assertions made in the work are understood to be factual.

* * *

Excerpt from A Rose for Sergei.

Fall 1972

Saturday morning I was up early.  I had a hard time sleeping and tossed and turned during the night.  I was looking forward to spending the afternoon with Sergei.  I showered leisurely and washed and set my long hair with large brush rollers.  It would take about forty-five minutes to dry under my hair dryer, and I wanted my hair to be clean and shiny so the leftover highlights from summer would be noticeable.  I could tell Sergei liked my long hair.  He had offhandedly brushed it back from my face the day before when he helped me out of the car.  I was touched by that tender gesture; it seemed out of character for a former KGB agent.
               
I dressed in a casual outfit, black slacks and a new dark green pullover sweater.  It was perfect for a fall afternoon, and it flattered my figure.  I felt like I was in high school again—my stomach was actually flip flopping, and I felt a little giddy.  It was strange for me to be affected like that by someone so quickly, but he was not your typical someone.  He was surrounded by mystery.

When Sergei arrived, I met him at the door and was immediately taken aback.  He stood there with a heartwarming smile on his face and was so excited that he leaned right over and gave me a huge hug.  I was almost lost in his arms as he wrapped them around me and held me in a warm embrace.  I loved his greeting; he didn’t have any reservations about letting me know how he felt.

* * *

A Rose for Sergei is my memoir.  It will allow you to have an understanding of what the last few months of Sergei’s life were like . . . an inside peek to who he truly was.


No comments:

Post a Comment