Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, February 17, 2014

A Reflection of My Own Eyes


Excerpt from A Rose for Sergei:

“Sergei looked at me intently, put his drink down, and pulled me close to him.  He put his arms around me and buried his face in my long hair . . . .

I turned and looked into his eyes.  I saw confusion, affection, and longing . . . a reflection of my own eyes.  And then it dawned on me.  I was a single female alone in my apartment with a very good looking, extremely strong young man, who defected from the Soviet Union . . . .

I should have been frightened, but for some strange reason I wasn’t.”




No comments:

Post a Comment