Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Maybe a Cupcake Will Help


I was in the middle of writing when I received a text from my friend Suzanna.  Her mother had just mailed her a rubber stamp inscribed with the words, “Maybe a Cupcake Will Help.”  It was the perfect gift.  One, because Suzanna loves everything cupcake.  And two, maybe . . . just maybe, a scrumptious treat like a cupcake might really help.  Somehow, we find the thought comforting.  Wouldn’t it be great if all of our concerns could be solved simply by indulging in a cupcake? 

For those that are new to my blog, here is a quick summary of my forthcoming book, A Rose for Sergei.  Sergei Kourdakov was a former KGB agent and Soviet Naval Intelligence Officer who defected to Canada more than forty years ago.  Some of you may already be familiar with his book The Persecutor, which was also published under the title Forgive Me, Natasha.  Sergei spent several weeks in Washington DC talking to Government Officials in the fall of 1972.  We were introduced when he came to my office where I was working as a secretary.  We were both 21 years old and we had an instant connection.  My book is the story about our time together and the remarkable person Sergei became.  

How is the book coming along?  I get asked that question frequently.  It tells me it’s time for a book status update.  Because I worked for the Federal Government when Sergei and I met, it was necessary for me to have my manuscript reviewed prior to publishing.  It took close to two months for that process but I finally received word from the Department of Defense prepublications office.  My manuscript has been cleared for publication!  That is the best possible news I could have received.  It means I still have a book.  It means I can tell my story.

There are still a lot of steps left – editing, rewriting, cover design and marketing.  Do I self publish or find an agent?  The list keeps getting longer and it seems a little overwhelming at times.  Whew, I just need to breathe and take it one step at a time.

Maybe a cupcake will help.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment