Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Life is an Endless Struggle


I have been going to the same place to have my hair cut for quite a few years.  During that time I have become very good friends with a number of the hairstylists that work there.  I’m not sure why we feel compelled to “tell all” when we are sitting in that rotating chair at the hair salon.  Maybe it’s because the stylist has a very sharp pair of scissors or razor blade so close to our eyes and ears.  Maybe it’s because we have a captured audience – they can’t walk away.  The hairstylists have to stay and listen until the shampoo, hair cut and styling are complete.  You have their rapt attention for at least an hour.

The young ladies I chat with the most at my hair salon are young, pretty and up to date with what is going on.  They have listened to stories about Sergei Kourdakov and the journey of my writing A Rose for Sergei.  During a recent visit I mentioned that I was starting to get cold feet.  I was struggling with the publishing dilemma and my apprehension about making this story public after 40 years.  I wondered if maybe just writing everything down, for my eyes only, would satisfy the need I felt to preserve this story about Sergei. 

Their comments provided encouragement:

“It would be normal to feel nervous about publishing a book, no matter what the subject is.  There's always a level of excitement, you would expect that feeling.  It’s a normal reaction.”

“If it is written from the heart then it will be good.”

“I always say to go with your gut feeling.  What is your gut telling you to do?”

I appreciate their insight and support.  They are right.  All those feelings are a normal reaction.  Their anticipation for me to finish and publish A Rose for Sergei is heartfelt.  They encourage me in a way they will never understand.  Thank you Erin, Lindsay and Andrea.  Your enthusiasm and optimism are contagious!

The small framed sign at Lindsay’s work station sums everything up nicely.

Life is an endless struggle,
full of frustrations and challenges,
but eventually you find a hairstylist you like!
     -Magnetic Graffiti©

 

No comments:

Post a Comment