Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Marriage Material


“If you didn’t think you could marry me, then why did you go out with me in the first place?”

Whoa – let’s back up and take it from the start.  This was a question from a young man I dated before I met Sergei.  I cut the section from my book, A Rose for Sergei, because it digressed from the story line.  It was about the reasons to not date someone you worked with.  I do think the quote is an interesting topic, however, and still applicable today.

The young man credited with asking that question was a military officer, intelligent and kind, and a co-worker.  I didn’t anticipate that his feelings would develop into something much stronger while mine remained friendly.  One thing I had never considered at the time was what would happen if we stopped dating and still had to work together.  And that’s when he wanted to know why I went out with him in the first place if I wasn’t interested in marrying him.  My answer was honest and to the point, “I went out with you to get to know you better.  Isn’t that the reason people date?” 

We ended things amicably but it was difficult to work together in the same office after that.  It helped that I was not the “kiss and tell” type of girl.  The not-so-happy outcome resulted in my self-imposed rule to “never date anyone who worked in my office.”  Only dating someone you could potentially marry was a strange concept to me and the furthest thought from my mind.  

I wonder if that is what guys/girls ask themselves before they consider dating someone today, “Are they honest, fun and adventurous?  Could he/she be marriage material?"  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment