Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Reluctant Blogger


You can imagine that if it took me 40 years to commit to writing a book about Sergei Kourdakov then the notion of starting a blog was a huge undertaking for me.  I reluctantly committed to blogging after my daughter convinced me that it was an important step that goes hand in hand with writing a book.  It is a way for people to know the author before the book is actually published.  And the author finds an audience.  It’s a two way street.  Truthfully, I didn’t think I could do either, write a book or a blog.  It was a surprise to discover that blogging pushed me to continue writing my book.  It was a twist of events I didn’t foresee.

I now understand the reason for blogging.  My blog gives me free rein to talk about thoughts and questions that come up as I write A Rose for Sergei.  Why is that important?  My book is written from my perspective when I was 21 because that is how I remember my time with Sergei.  So the book stays within that time frame.  My blog is written from my viewpoint today.

As I got further along with my book I saw things differently.  The pieces of the puzzle fit together in a way I could never have understood at age 21.  I am surprised at the number of coincidences that I never realized until I wrote everything down.  I told myself I was reading more into this than there really was.  Looking back all these years later, from an adult perspective, it makes me wonder . . .

Was it really just a coincidence that Sergei and I met? 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment