Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Honesty is Key


I was shopping in a grocery store in my neighborhood recently.  When I was at the checkout counter the sales clerk made an inquiry about the store.  I gave a truthful opinion, good and bad.  The sales clerk didn’t expect that type of reply and paused for a second.  “Honesty is key,” he finally said with an easy smile and a slight shrug of his shoulders.  That phrase really caught my attention.  I liked his response.  I like honesty.

I sometimes think honesty has flown out the window for many people.  Untruths, half-truths, and fudging the truth seem to have become an acceptable norm.  Hiding behind a computer screen makes it easier to say things you wouldn’t ordinarily say if you were speaking to someone in person.

There are some people who do not believe Sergei Kourdakov wrote honestly in his book, The Persecutor.  I have no reason to not believe him.  I have always considered myself to be a pretty good judge of character – probably because of my upbringing, possibly because I was on my own at such a young age.  When Sergei and I were together we talked in person.  He was very direct and forthright and I trusted him completely.

I would have known if Sergei wasn’t honest.  I would have been able to tell.  I would have seen it in his eyes when he looked at me.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kolleen,
    I was pleased to stumble upon your blog.
    I first read Sergei's book as a young teenage Christian, and it had a huge impact on me. I think I fell a little in love with him, as much as you can with the writer of a book whom you've never met. But I find myself reading his book again this week, 30 years later, and wondering how different things could have been for him had he lived.
    I always feel that if he had been allowed to begin his new life in anonymity for a few years, and to allow his new-found faith t grow, he could have done much work for God. I wonder if Underground Evangelism used him for publicity before he was ready. These are just thoughts, I don't know if they are based on reality, but it is a great sadness that his freedom in the West was so soon snatched away. But consolation lies in the fact that he is experiencing true freedom in heaven with his Saviour.
    I look forward to reading your book when it is finished, and may God bless you.
    Autumn Vyse x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn,
    Thank you for your comment. Sergei definitely had an impact on many people. I'm glad you found my blog and I look forward to hearing back from you after you read A Rose for Sergei.
    Kolleen Kidd

    ReplyDelete