Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What Makes a Good Story?

I surveyed several of my avid-reader friends and asked them to describe what makes a good romance book.  Then I simplified the question to, “What makes any story good . . . either a fiction or non-fiction book?”  I didn’t say exactly why I was asking the question.  The truth was that I wanted feedback to check if I was anywhere on target with my writing A Rose for Sergei.  I was surprised by their off-the-cuff answers.  They were really good!  The following list describes what they considered essential for a good book.

     Humorous

     Heartfelt

     Satisfying

     “I like good romance novels.”

     Captivating/Likable Characters

     The book should make you anxious to read the next chapter.

     There should be a twist in the story to capture your attention.

     “I don’t want to read about my life . . . I’m already living it.”


I felt relief after I read their responses.  I would like to think I captured those requirements by default in A Rose for Sergei.  Because it is a true story there is no leeway to make any changes.  I can only tell it like it happened; it is what it is. 
 
Here is the breakdown.  In A Rose for Sergei there are parts that are definitely humorous, embarrassingly so.  I know the story is heartfelt simply because it is a true story.  The “satisfying” response to my survey has me wondering though.  If you are familiar with Sergei’s life you know there is no happily ever after for this relationship.  I will say if you like a good romance story then this is a love story that will touch your heart and soul.
 
Are the characters captivating and likable?  Sergei is more than captivating, and extremely likable.  My boss is also likable, funny and quirky with his New Zealand accent.  Me, I always got along with everyone, worked hard, and was a little naïve about love.  I was ever the optimist.  Still am.
 
I think there are a few pages that will make you anxious to jump ahead to read the next chapter.  There is also an element of mystery and intrigue which I always like to find in a book.
 
There is a twist in my story right from chapter one.  I won’t hint at what it is because I don’t want to spoil what happens after that. 
 
And my favorite response of all, “I don’t want to read about my life . . . I’m already living it.”  I can pretty much guarantee that this book will capture your attention.  It added more intrigue into my life than I ever expected.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment