Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

If You Believe Just One Thing


Proof.  We learn from teachers that we must show our work to support how we get to a certain point.  We follow through with this mandate in the business world.  We all want to see the evidence that backs up a statement.  Without proof . . . we question validity, and hence truthfulness.

My friends ask why I posted the personal photos of Sergei Kourdakov and me on my blog.  “I had no choice,” I quietly tell them.  “How else would people believe I knew Sergei and believe my story.”  I knew the photos were the proof that some people needed to see—physical evidence is convincing.

Sergei and I were seated side-by-side, alone in my apartment, when he told me about his life in the Soviet Union and his daring escape to freedom.  I knew from the manner in which he spoke to me that his story was not just something he made up.  I saw and felt the sadness in Sergei’s eyes.  I saw him.  One of my favorite authors, Orest Stelmach, explained it better in his most recent book, The Boy Who Glowed in the Dark:  “A woman knew a man’s intentions based on the look in his eyes, his body language around her, his manner of speech.”

I always knew that Sergei was telling me the truth.  If you believe just one thing in Sergei’s book, The Persecutor,* believe that something miraculous happened in his life.

*Sergei Kourdakov wrote one book which was published under three different titles:

The Persecutor
Forgive Me, Natasha
Sergei


No comments:

Post a Comment