Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, November 24, 2014

An Unbiased Opinion


The final proof for A Rose for Sergei arrived last week.  I am thisclose to completion.  I had made a change to the book cover, adjusting the size of the rose to be more prominent, which necessitated making the font smaller on the lower section.  I had a cover already for the eBook but the paperback cover had to be sized differently.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the changes though.  After all this time I wanted it to be right.

When I designed the cover I wanted it to be in direct contrast to Sergei’s book, The Persecutor.  I kept it simple, using the same colors—red, black and white.  But in reverse.  I even ended up using the photo I took with my cell phone.  For some reason it captured the features I wanted better than my pricier digital camera.

Now I needed an unbiased opinion about which cover to choose and the perfect opportunity presented itself in a most unique manner.  I actually asked the furnace serviceman, who had just finished cleaning our house heating system, for his thoughts on the two different covers.  It turned out his wife was a photographer so I was confident he had experience in selecting photos.  I was relieved when he chose the book cover I was leaning towards.

The service technician was not familiar with Sergei Kourdakov’s story and I ended up giving him a quick synopsis.  I was surprised by his thoughtful comments and questions.  Yes, I agreed with him, Sergei was very smart.  Something I think many people were not aware of.  Yet, this man picked up on that in seconds.  He asked the age I recommended for children to read the book.  I told him the content was serious, “At least age thirteen,” I suggested.  We talked a little more about Sergei and then the final question, “Was Sergei happy?”  A good question and an important one.  “Yes . . . Sergei was happy in this country.”  It was obvious to anyone who had the chance to meet Sergei that he was excited to be here.

I ended up giving the technician a proof of the paperback book.



The paperback version of
  A Rose for Sergei will be available December 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment