Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, March 31, 2014

About Face

As a child I grew up on U.S. military bases.  The term “about face” was understood at a very young age.  I knew it was a drill command in which a soldier makes a 180° turn and heads in the opposite direction.  Keith, my older brother, used to march us all over the house when we were kids . . . left, right, left, right.  Halt.  About Face!

It wasn’t until several years later that I realized the phrase, about face, had an altogether different meaning.  It can also be used to refer to a complete change of one’s plans, ideas and actions . . . a change of attitude or point of view.  And that is exactly what happened to Sergei.

* * *

In Sergei Kourdakov’s book, The Persecutor, he describes the last raid he participated in.  Sergei was angered when a woman prayed for him.  He was stunned that she didn’t ask for help for herself when she saw his arm raised to strike her.

“I started to swing.  Then the strangest thing happened to me.  I can’t describe it.  Someone grabbed my wrist and jerked it back.  I was startled.  It was hurting.  It was not imaginary.  It was a real squeezing on my wrist until it actually pained.  I . . . turned around to hit him.  But there was no one there!

I looked back.  Nobody could have grabbed my arm.  And yet, somebody had grabbed me!  I still felt the pain.  I stood there in shock.  The blood rushed to my head.  I felt hot as fright swept over me.  This was beyond me.  It was confusing, unreal.  Then I forgot everything.  Dropping my club, I ran out . . . .”

-Sergei Kourdakov, The Persecutor (Chapter 19, pg. 226)

* * *

Sergei was used to always being in control, and he took great pride in his strength.  It was necessary for his survival.  But that night a greater strength held Sergei’s arm back.  What happened to Sergei the night of his last raid caused him to change his point of view about everything.  He had a sudden and complete change of plans.  He did an “about face.”



No comments:

Post a Comment