Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, January 27, 2014

This Point in Time

I recently had a sisters’ get-away weekend in North Carolina.  The three of us live far apart and always make it a point to get together a couple of times a year.  My friends always tell me how lucky I am to have that special time with my sisters.  They have sisters too, but apparently everyone doesn’t get along that well.  When I do hear their stories I consider myself lucky.

Our getaways consist of shopping, lunching, window shopping, wishing-we-could-buy-that shopping and non-stop talking.  We talk about our hopes, dreams, the past and the future.  We laugh . . . and we sometimes cry.  We talk about anything and everything.

Karen, my older sister, talked about destiny one afternoon.  She told us the story about when her husband was in the fifth grade.  He was sitting on a swing during recess at school and wondering about who he would meet and marry someday.  He thought . . . my future wife could be anywhere . . . she could even be on the other side of the world right now.  My sister Karen, his future wife, was on the other side of the world at that very point in time.  Our family was stationed in Okinawa.

Kelly, my younger sister, talked about the difficult decision she made many years ago when she packed up and moved to a new city.  That tough choice to leave her hometown led to finding her husband.  She said every choice she made took her to that very point in time when they met.

The whole idea of destiny makes me stop and think about everything in a different way.  I realized that I crossed paths with my future husband many times before we actually met.  It was almost as if our lives were inching us closer and closer until the time was right.

Is our life already predetermined or do we create our own destiny?  I know there is a reason that I met Sergei Kourkakov, even for the short time that he was in my life.  I also know that at this point in time it was important for me to write about Sergei.  If I didn’t, then who would?


No comments:

Post a Comment