Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Three Powerful Words


I was shopping at a store last week when I spotted an item on a top shelf.  I was sure I could reach it if I stood on my tiptoes . . . ahhhh, the perils of being short.  I leaned in close and stretched my arm to the max, but it was still just out of my reach.  I turned away empty handed, in search of a tall store employee . . . that’s when a shopper appeared at my side.  “I’ll help you,” she said with a smile.

“I’ll help you.”  That’s what the young woman said to me as she rushed over to offer her assistance.  Three simple words.  It made an impression in a very positive way.  She didn’t phrase it as a question—“Do you need help?” or “Can I help you?”  It was a statement.

I thought about what the young woman said when I got home that evening.  Three kind words.  Three powerful words.  I thought about other powerful words in my book.  Three words can evoke such strong emotions.

From A Rose for Sergei:

I believe you.”
What I said to Sergei after he told me about his life in the Soviet Union.

“I’m so sorry.”
What I said to Sergei after hearing about him becoming an orphan
at the age of four.

“I trust you.”
What I said to Sergei after he told me he would protect me.

“I love you.”
What Sergei said to me.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment