Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Shared Memories




 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As I hung my favorite ornament on our Christmas tree this year it held a different meaning.  My parents’ home is now “for sale.”  There is no home to go home to.  The final chapter of the story of their lives has come to an end.  Even though I can’t physically go home again, my heart is filled with happy memories of past Christmases with my mother and father.  Those shared memories are enough to make me smile.  My mother knew along . . . all hearts go home for Christmas.

Below is an excerpt from A Rose for Sergei.  Sergei and I were not able to spend the holidays together.  I travelled from my home in Arlington, Virginia to spend Christmas with my family in Massachusetts.  Sergei flew back to Los Angeles, California, to enjoy a planned skiing vacation.
  
December 1972

“Christmas in Massachusetts is quite beautiful with all the snow covered pine trees.  Christmas with my family is even more beautiful.  It was my mother’s favorite time of year, and she always started playing Christmas music right after Thanksgiving.  Mom and Dad loved having all six children home at the same time.  There was always homemade bread and lots of Christmas cookies—tons of Christmas cookies.  My favorite Christmas ornament was from my mother.  It had a saying on it that read, “All Hearts go Home for Christmas.”  I loved that saying, but this year my heart was only partly there—the other part was with Sergei.

. . . Their home was picture perfect at Christmas time with a big fireplace at one end of the living room and a real Christmas tree to the side of the picture window that overlooked beautiful green pine trees right next to the patio.  It made for a cozy holiday, and I knew Sergei would have enjoyed being with all of us.  I loved being with all my brothers and sisters, but I had to admit that all I really wanted was to hurry back to Arlington to see Sergei.”
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment