Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, August 19, 2013

What is My Style?


The waiting game is in effect . . . again.  I have already endured the two month wait for my manuscript, A Rose for Sergei, to be cleared by the Federal Government for publication.  Everything was approved, as I stated in previous posts.  Now I am waiting for my editor to wade through my book and make the necessary changes.

The first words back from my editor were:  Your.  Sentences.  Are.  Too.  Short.  Sometimes.  And sometimes you runeverythingtogether.  But then again, she said that maybe short sentences are my style and she doesn’t want to change that.  My editor is adding a lot of commas to the run-on sentences, which seems like an easy fix, but requires a lot of extra rereading.
 
My style!  What is my style?  I have never attempted to write a book before so I really don’t have any awareness in that area.  I believe a writer’s style is just the natural way you express yourself and it is unique to each individual.  All I can say is that, after 40 years of not ever talking about Sergei Kourdakov, all of the words tumbled out onto the pages when I finally started writing this book.  That explains the run-on sentences.  And I will admit that I like short sentences for emphasis.
 
My daughter, Laura, is my editor.  She is a writer/editor and I trust her to do an excellent job.  The roles are reversed, and now the child is the teacher.  Now I am anxiously waiting for the editing to be completed.  And I have become an advocate for the comma.  

Apparently, you, can, never, have, too, many, commas.


No comments:

Post a Comment