Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, August 5, 2013

The Influence of Social Media


For some reason I really dislike the phrase, “The Power of Social Media.”  Alone, Social Media isn’t powerful since we make it what it is.  It is a useful tool that relays information in the blink of an eye.  We give it power.  We choose what we want to make public.  We control it, it doesn’t control us.  

I have been reading and following a Russian History Blog for more than a year.  Not that I am particularly a big fan of Russian history, it was a section on Sergei Kourdakov and “truth in memoirs” that first led me to that site.  I am amazed how significant his story, as told in his book The Persecutor, still is today.  Sergei made a difference in many lives, including my own.  I would have remained clueless regarding people's thoughts about Sergei without the knowledge I gained from reading this blog and other stories on the Internet.

Without Social Media I would never have learned about the movie Forgive Me, Sergei.  The title of the movie seems satirical . . . forgive me Sergei if I don’t believe you.  I did purchase the movie because I was curious to know what it was about.  As far as movies go, I credit the journalist and producer for all of their hard work.  However, their view is definitely not the same one that I have because I knew Sergei personally.  It was hard for me to see and read the negative comments about Sergei.  Over time I found it increasingly more difficult to remain silent.    

Hmmm, on second thought, maybe Social Media really is powerful.  It did influence me to write A Rose for Sergei.  It convinced me to tell a story that was locked within me.  Without Social Media it may have stayed there forever.

The Influence of Social Media should not be underrated.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment