Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Encouraging Words


My writing is inexperienced but it is definitely from the heart and I hope that my sincerity will come through in A Rose for Sergei.  I do have a few doubts in my ability to portray Sergei Kourdakov in a way that will do him justice.  That is my biggest concern.  Will I do more harm than good?  Can I show that he was a completely changed person? 
 
My sister Kelly sent me a beautiful pin with the word “WRITE” on it.  I keep the pin on my desk to inspire me.  Kelly had cried when she read my outline; she never knew the whole story about Sergei because she was too young at the time.  It’s amazing how that one simple word with sparkly rhinestones catches my eye and encourages me.  She didn’t need to send a note along with the pin because I got her message; she has confidence in my writing.  I thanked my sister and told her if the book is terrible I can always blame her.
 
My older sister Karen is my best critic and I eagerly anticipated her response.  She is an avid reader and is quite knowledgeable when it comes to books and writing in general.  She laughed after reading the first chapters of my draft.  She had met Sergei but I had never told her that part.  She smiled and said, “I enjoyed it, it’s very good.  Mom would be very proud of you.”
 
My friend Susan M. was surprised when she found out I was writing a book.  After she read a chapter her response was quite funny, “Did you write this?  You wrote this?  You didn’t write this page did you?  You did!  But who wrote this last page in the chapter, you didn’t write that part did you?”
 
I will take Susan’s comments as the best compliment of all, I loved her reaction.  Honestly, I am just as surprised as she was.  Words of support, or even a simple pin, give me the encouragement to continue writing . . . and I thank everyone.
 
 A Rose for Sergei is scheduled to be released as an e-book in August 2013 via Amazon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment