Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Persecutor by Sergei Kourdakov

 
I suspect that before Sergei even dreamed of writing his book, The Persecutor, he was told over and over by many people that he needed to write about his life – that when people heard his story they were spell bound.  His job with the KGB in Russia was to inflict terror on Christians.  He became disillusioned with Communism and defected to Canada in September 1971.  During his stay in Canada he converted to Christianity, and eventually moved to California where he became a member of Underground Evangelism (now known as Mission Without Borders).  Several articles about Sergei have suggested that he seemed eager to tell his story and he was only interested in writing a book for the money.  However, in writing his book he knew he was putting his life in jeopardy.  It was his decision; he knew the consequences, and he was willing to take that risk.  He was eager to write a book, but for the right reasons.
He wanted to make a difference . . . and he made all the difference in the world.  
 
 * * *
 
“You really need to write a book!”  Suzanna said.  I heard those words from her many times over the past ten years.  “Why?” I would ask each time.  “Because it’s a really good story,” was Suzanna’s reply.  Suzanna was my friend and co-worker, smart and pretty, young enough to be my daughter, and wise beyond her years.  She was only one of a handful of friends who knew about me and Sergei, possibly because she was a compassionate listener.  “I wouldn’t even know where to begin to write a book about Sergei,” I finally admitted one day.  “You start with . . . , that’s where you need to start,” Suzanna confidently told me.  Her words stayed with me over the years.
I started to write A Rose for Sergei exactly where Suzanna had suggested. 
 
 
 A brief account of Sergei’s life can be found at:
 
 
An online version of The Persecutor is available at:
 



2 comments:

  1. Amazing to find this blog and book! My mom saved Sergei's life. She was the nurse who treated him when he washed up on the shore in Tasu. She ran behind the ambulance to help rescue him from the beach and was the first person he saw when he opened his eyes. I remember her talking about laying out all his photographs to dry. I grew up hearing about his story as a child :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled that you found my blog! Thank you for sharing this amazing story. Without your mother’s assistance, Sergei’s story might very well have ended on that beach on the Queen Charlotte Islands.

      Delete