Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, March 18, 2013

A Frightening Reality

As I write A Rose for Sergei, I am stunned by how easily the words are flowing.  I wonder if it’s because the words I write have never been spoken or written about before.  It is as if they have been preserved in my memory all these years.  The conversations between Sergei and I are in essence verbatim.  I can only think of two reasons why this would be possible.  The first is that my memories are clear, they never expanded with repetition like some stories we tell over time.  The second is because I had a heightened sense of awareness when we were together.  Sergei knew he was being watched and followed; he told many people about that.  The frightening reality to his statement is that it easily translated to  . . . “We are being watched and followed.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment