Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Imagine That – Interview with George Yuhasz


I happen to think that Twitter is an interesting place to find books. There are plenty of authors who tweet info about their books daily, myself included. A recent post of a children’s book with a colorful cover caught my attention. My quick check revealed it had won several awards and the author was a former Special Agent. (Hmmm, I wondered if our paths ever crossed in the Federal Government.)

After reading all the great Five-Star reviews on Amazon, I knew Imagine That: The Magic of the Mysterious Lights by George Yuhasz would make a wonderful gift. There aren’t too many children’s books that have a motivational message woven through the story … a message that it’s never too early to set goals, and that an education is important to reach those goals.

I bought the book and contacted multi-award winning author George Yuhasz for an interview!


1.  With your background, I would have thought your first book would have been a thriller/espionage. But it wasn’t, you wrote a children’s story.  I’m curious. Why were you drawn to that genre?
I was inspired to write this children’s book by my granddaughter. Her fascination with the night sky and its celestial bodies was both infectious and provocative. The story was written not only as a labor of love, but also in response to the opportunity to celebrate the sense of wonder and awareness of young children. I hope that you and the children you love enjoy this book.

2.  What is unique about IMAGINE THAT: THE MAGIC OF THE MYSTERIOUS LIGHTS?
It is a book enjoyed and found meaningful by children and adults of all ages.

3.  What surprised you the most after writing this book?
As a neophyte author and without any expectations, I decided to enter my book in some competitions to see how I might fare. I have been really surprised and pleased that the book has been recognized for literary excellence several times since publication in April 2019.

4.  If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Begin writing as soon as you can and write about whatever you want.

5.  Favorite book when you were a kid?
“THE SECRET GARDEN”   by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

6.  What did you want to be when you grew up?
A police detective or a government agent.

7.  Share something your readers would not know about you.
I have always had a strong interest in natural health. My grandmother was Native American and was a healer. She taught me much about the power of nature and ritual. About fifteen years ago, I decided to pursue formal training and became certified in several modalities: Traditional Naturopathy; Reflexology; Clinical Hypnotherapy. I am very proud of my herb and vegetable garden.

8.  If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
Kind-Grateful-Thoughtful

9.  What else are you working on?
I’m currently working on a suspense novel and another children’s book.

George Yuhasz is a former U.S. government special agent and contractor, and has worked in the private sector as a private investigator and security consultant. A graduate of American University's Schools of International Service and Government, he also holds a M.A. degree in psychology from the University of Northern Colorado.

George is a passionate advocate for the preservation and protection of our natural world. A proud father and grandfather, lifelong learner, and world traveler, he especially delights in sharing with children and adults his knowledge and enthusiasm for appreciating the joy and wonder of connecting with nature.




WINNER-Outstanding Children's Fiction Illustrated Category
FINALIST-Children/Juvenile Fiction Category
Awarded by the Independent Author Network 2019 Book of the Year Awards
WINNER-GOLD MEDALIST Children's Books AGES 6-9
Awarded by the Wishing Shelf Book Awards - 2019
DISTINGUISHED FAVORITE - Children's Inspirational Book Category
Awarded by the Independent Press Book Awards - 2020
Indie B.R.A.G. MEDALLION HONOREE
Awarded by the Book Readers Appreciation Group - 2020

* * * * *

On my next post,

I continue my conversation with George Yuhasz

and our surprise connection

with Sergei Kourdakov!


No comments:

Post a Comment