Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Friday, April 8, 2016

Writing Book Reviews | A Rose for Sergei


Book reviews!  We love to read them before we purchase a book, but we don’t always like to write them.  I admit I was guilty of the same thing, I didn’t write reviews…that is until I wrote my first book.  Now I post a review online even if it’s only a few sentences.  I guarantee you the author will find and read it.  I also know that, for some readers, those reviews can be the deciding factor on whether or not to buy a certain book.

A book blogger recently interviewed me about A Rose for Sergei, and several of the questions pertained to book reviews.  Up until then I hadn’t given reviews a lot of thought.  I was just happy that people were finding and reading my book.  Below are my thoughts from that part of the interview:

I came to the realization that there are a lot of readers who think a book review has to be a perfectly written, play-by-play account of the story.  I’d like readers to know that posting a review online doesn’t have to be a lengthy process.  A positive book review can be just two words:  Liked It, Loved It, or Recommend It.  Of course I also enjoy reading the longer commentaries by those who love writing in-depth reviews.  I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to write any review.

We all love to see good reviews, and if a reviewer leaves a not-so-good review along with a valid suggestion, it can be helpful to the author.  I actually added an addendum to my book after a reader emailed me. 

* * *
A Rose for Sergei
Thank You Readers for the Amazon Reviews!

Mystery and Love (5 Stars)
I enjoy reading about the Cold War, spies and KGB.  These two lives were entwined in mystery and intrigue.  This book was a real page turner, keeping me on the edge of my seat.  Finding such love at the age of twenty-one was heartwarming….  I truly enjoyed this memoir and would recommend to readers of all ages.
—Barbara

I enjoyed it, but don’t tell my buds (4 Stars)
I read this kicking and screaming b/c [because] the wife made me read it--and...I enjoyed it, but don't tell my buds.  I'm a fan!
—Scribe

When the real life is wilder than fiction.....Beautiful and touching story (5 Stars)
The story has a very good premise - an American girl and a Russian bear, no - man the size and strength of the bear, with different, even opposite, mentality, background and experience, fall in love.  The Cold War period and the fact that the girl worked for the US intelligence, while the lad is ex-KGB make it even spicier and add the flavor of a spy thriller.  Yet it's a unique true love story: pure, touching and beautiful.  Craftily written with all first-hand emotions shared by one of the participants.  And then there is a twist....Something unexpected and drastic.  I don't want to spoil it, so you, guys, would have to read it yourself.  And it's worth it, believe me.
—Nik Krasno, Author of Mortal Showdown


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading these reviews! Haha that second one, though. That made me laugh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed these Emily! I laughed at that second one also. I’ve been fortunate to have some wonderful reviews.

      Delete