Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Irony of Existence


My heartfelt thanks to those of you who have read A Rose for Sergei—and a special thanks to those who took the time to write a review.  Reviews help people find books and my purpose in writing this book was so everyone would learn more about Sergei Kourdakov.

One recent review on the Amazon web site caught my attention because it captured the very reason I wanted to write this book . . . so you would know Sergei better.  Reviews on Amazon are in the public domain; therefore, I have reprinted this moving story below.

Close to My Heart
Reviewer:  BethySim

Ah, Sergei.  What can I say?  I couldn’t have been gladder that he came back, that we can read more about him and get to know him better.  This story is touching and bittersweet, embodying the reality of life and at the same time the magic of love.  I highly recommend.

Kolleen and Sergei’s story lies especially close to my heart (as the title of the review suggests) because of my own dealings with a young Russian.  I, like K., am from German descent.  I met a tall, muscular Russian at the end of 2013 when I took a job as an administrative assistant, and I was enraptured by him.  We hit it off very well although we never dated or anything, I treasured the time we were able to spend together before he moved away.  I wish I had an opportunity to know him better, but some things are not meant to be.  It was curious, however, because I met him barely two weeks after finishing “The Persecutor.”  And his middle name is Sergei.  Oh, the irony of existence!


No comments:

Post a Comment