Sergei Kourdakov, a former KGB agent and Soviet naval intelligence officer, defected from the USSR at the age of twenty. A year later we met at my Federal Government office in Washington DC. We were watched and followed. “Even you could be spy,” Sergei whispered. My book, A Rose for Sergei, is the true story of our time together.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Things That Haunt You


The definition of haunt is varied—trouble, disturb, irk, worry, bother, preoccupy, disturb.  During the month of October, we are reminded of Halloween and our childhood memories of haunted houses and spooky ghosts.  But that is not the definition of haunt that I am talking about.

I am referring to other definitions of haunt, like to cause somebody unease or regret.  I am referring to the fact that I will never know for sure what really happened to Sergei Kourdakov in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day, 1973, when his life unexpectedly ended.  That is what haunts my thoughts.

Below is an excerpt from my draft of A Rose for Sergei.  (Sergei was meeting my brother for the first time.  Keith, and his girlfriend, had just picked Sergei and me up to drive us to a party.) 

Sergei and I were sitting in the back seat of the car, relaxing and enjoying the ride through the streets of Washington DC as I pointed out the names of the monuments and buildings we passed.  Keith was engaging Sergei in conversation, politely asking him about the Soviet Union, where he was born, and general questions.  They chatted amicably back and forth until Sergei unexpectedly became extremely uneasy about my brother’s familiarity with his former homeland.

“Why do you know so much about the Soviet Union?” Sergei suddenly questioned.  He spoke in a low, measured, disquieting voice as his eyes darted around the car at everyone, taking everything in.

This is not going well at all, I thought.  I turned and looked directly into Sergei’s haunted eyes.  I felt a cold chill run through me as I tried to comprehend what he must be thinking, that we were taking him somewhere to turn him over to . . . .
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment